Springbok Chapter seal changes

If your Chapter has a special or you need to make a general announcement this is the place.

Moderator: K5FBS

Springbok Chapter seal changes

Postby W4ZYD » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:15 pm

Hello Everyone,

SCI is considering doing away with non collectable seals, and moving to a solution that allows the member to still receive the award and on air points, but stop the inflating of lists, and less work for all concerned.

The Flower, Mineral, Tree, Bird, Animal, Big Five, Pretoria, Johannesburg, Bloemfontain, Durban, Port Elizabeth, and Cape Town, will remain in place. They ARE collectable for awards and therefore will remain that way. The removals would include Cheetah, KC4RHW, etc, that are not currently being used in any manner, and are only for show. These seals are not part of K4HAV's Ten Ten program as they are not "collectable". Members completing sections would still receive on air points and the certificates, either in paper, or electronic, just no longer with seal numbers to put on brag sheet.

Any comments to this change are welcome.

Mike W4ZYD
Last edited by W4ZYD on Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Steele, W4ZYD 69769
SCI Chapter 2350FM
W4ZYD

Re: Springok Chapter seal changes

Postby W4ZYD » Sat Apr 18, 2009 2:01 am

Todd,

The main cert is still a work in progress. It was a crazy size, that does not carry over well to image, or PDF.

I don't understand the aversion to PDF though, please explain. Other than being a standard across all computers for
printing purposes, I don't get the Mulder/Sculley reference?

Mike W4ZYD
Mike Steele, W4ZYD 69769
SCI Chapter 2350FM
W4ZYD

Re: Springok Chapter seal changes

Postby W4ZYD » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Hey Todd,

Yes PDF is non editable, for a good reason I think on chapters. It does remind me of military for a matter, but in this case, it does exactly what it is supposed to . The MAIN reason for using PDF vs JPEG, is no matter what computer you are on, if PDF can be displayed, it prints exactly as the originator designed it to be. No worry about margins, etc. It is auto adjusting for printing. I've done everything from images to word documents, and nothing beats PDF for the printing. JPEG are pretty, and if done correctly can move down to a reasonable size. But it will never beat the clarity of a well worked PDF doc. So your concerns are duly noted, but for the majority, SCI will still keep PDF running. I may try to help you specifically in this area, but for most there is no choice. PDF files run to 256k's, vs's a JPEG's 4 megs, and I am still on dial up? HI HI. Have to go with lesser of evils.

Mike,
W4ZYD
Mike Steele, W4ZYD 69769
SCI Chapter 2350FM
W4ZYD

Re: Springbok Chapter seal changes

Postby W4ZYD » Sun Apr 19, 2009 11:43 pm

While speaking on the subject,

Yes SCI did put in a never ending update, in the manner of the SCI Master. After everything is worked, members need a small reason to keep SCI running, and this was the solution. If you want to upgrade to the end and never remember the chapter, that is a bad thing. We have also put in place other measures to allow points to be gained after all is done. Read the http://www.springboknet.com/SCIFiles/newpoints.asp . I totally disagree that a never ending program serves no purpose. So long as it is tastefully represented, it serves very well in keeping members active in a club. The DE stations have taken to it very well, and with their ground wave propagation, I say this is a very good sign. Please reconsider, Todd.

Mike,
W4ZYD
Mike Steele, W4ZYD 69769
SCI Chapter 2350FM
W4ZYD

Return to Chapter News