Is Paperchasing Dying ?

Dedicated to those that are involved with Chapter Paper Chasing

Moderator: N9AVY

Is Paperchasing Dying ?

Postby N9AVY » Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:50 am

With every issue of the 10-10 News I see that more and more of the old time paperchasers have left us. Venturing a guess, perhaps 1/3 to 1/2 are now Silent Keys. Many of the old Chapters are QRT. 10 meters is mostly dead during the Fall and Winter months when most are indoors because of weather. If 10 meters is dead; then, are the 10-10ers off playing video games, surfing the net, or letting their minds get turned to Jell-O by watching the Tube ?

So, what is the future of Paperchasing ???? Is it doomed to just fall away by attrition ? When Cycle 24 finally gets into full swing and 10 meters is open 8-10 hours a day, will there be many paperchasers on the band ? Or are we destined to find just a bunch of refugee CBers/Freebanders tweaking their "kickers" ?

In spite of all the glorious Cycle 24 predictions, it's still not here, yet. I fear that when it finally appears we'll be having problems from truckers, fishing boats, bouys, and other "Intruders"; that is, if the Government doesn't sell off 10m to pay for the bails outs.

Whatever happens, I don't think we'll be seeing the same 10 meter band we left a few year ago.

Jerry, N9AVY
N9AVY

Re: Is Paperchasing Dying ?

Postby kb9nzx » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:15 pm

Well Jerry:
I have not upgraded for over a year now.Its just getting too hard. Too many seals too much hassel also there are only a few chapters that I will even bother upgrading. The rest are going to be cut from my list.Thinking of cutting my list to about 6 or 8 chapters infact I probably will.Its just not fun anymore upgrades have been returned to me for mispelling a oprs name or an honest mistake on point values.So the bottom line is to cut these chapters because I cannot seem to satisfythe CHs with my upgrade.

Bob
KB9NZX
kb9nzx

Postby N9AVY » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:45 pm

Wll Bob ... there have been more of a few of the aforementioned problems with chapters. This whole paperchasing game started out innocently with the idea of keeping 10 meters active and have a little fun doing it. Somewhere, somehow, we got a lot of very competitive people (and nitpickers) into paperchasing. The copetition for points became almost a "blod feud" (See: Hatfields & McCoys - who still don't know how it all started!). The usual paperchasing frequencies became "free-for-alls" and manners and good operating practices went out the window.

I believe that many involved in paperchasing became disillusioned/disgusted and went off to do other things. Of course, this has all been brought up in the past and has been mostly ignored by the guilty. We all know who the culprits are and hope that some have gone away.

So, what lays ahead for Paperchaing in Cycle 24 ??? Anyone's guess. The future will hold fewer chapters and less participation, in my humble opinion. I suspect a lot of newcomers to 10 meters will end up on the newer digital modes like Hell, Olivia, etc. There is a possibility that paperchasing could exist well in the digital world since a list would be a file to transfer - no more endless lists in your mailbox ! Of course, the comaraderie of swapping info over the air will be gone.

Many of the less popular chapters will no doubt disappear. I often wonder how chapters like Steel City which started in Gary, Indiana (a steelmaking center many long years ago) ended up in Chicago which is better known for its stockyards than steel industry. Other chapters have moved across the country rather than die off, but I believe they lose their "local flavor" when that happens and should have been allowed to pass on.

I haven't looked at my "list" in a few years and I know there are chapters which will be removed for various reasons. Although SNITT will remain and be reactivated with Cycle 24.

Jerry
N9AVY

Postby W7HO » Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:30 am

While I have been the Portland 500 Chapter CM for only a couple of years now. And I will say not much 10 meter activity in the Pacific Northwest, I still find it fun to get upgrade requests from time to time (I see the most activity from the folks in Europe).
So for those folks that are still hanging in there at the bottom of the cycle keep the upgrades coming.

Thanks
Ron W7HO
Portland 500 CM
W7HO

Return to Paper Chasing