What constitutes a good chapter ?

Dedicated to those that are involved with Chapter Paper Chasing

Moderator: N9AVY

What constitutes a good chapter ?

Postby N9AVY » Sat Nov 01, 2008 9:35 pm

This is a subject which has been kicked around for years amongst paperchasers.

What do we look for in a chapter ? Do we want to collect a gazillion points, compete with others in that chapter, participate in "specials" or just check into the nets ? Do chapters need more seals or shoulod seals be eliminated ? Should certificates be printed and mailed or should they be sent via email ???

This is a good place to discuss chapter structure without maligning any specific chapters and possibly help point future chapters towards being active, successful chapters.

Discussion is open ....
N9AVY

Re: What constitutes a good chapter ?

Postby KE1HG » Sat Nov 08, 2008 3:06 pm

Hi Jerry, I enjoy the chapters that I have on my list. They all have something different to offer. Points, Seals, Work sheets, Special events, Most are configured around History, demographics, or Events. Such as the Battle Road Chapter, which is based around the Revolutionary War, and it's beginnings in Lexington Massachusetts. Where the Shot Heard Around the World was fired. All the seals are places that were involved. The other chapters I belong to each their own twist on the things or happenings near them. Heck sometimes you can even learn a thing or two.

73 Charlie KE1HG.
KE1HG

Postby N9AVY » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:59 pm

Battle Road has long been one of my favorite chapters since I got into paperchasing. I remember John running the nets and all the great holiday specials (4th of July, Xmas, etc.). Used to check in from mobile using CW and many members knew the CW was me trying to check in. Love chapters that are based around local history.

Jerry
N9AVY

Postby KK3Q » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:57 pm

I have nowhere near the chapter memberships that others have but have always enjoyed the ones that revolve around something centered on the chapters local areas (Steamboat, Iditarod, Battle Road, Chattanooga, etc.). LIke working DX stations, these formats help us learn more about the areas surrounding the chapters regarding history (Battle Road), special events (Iditarod), local themes (Chattanooga, City of Roses) and not to forget the state oriented chapters like Republic of Texas and others.
Floyd, KK3Q
10-X 26039 VP 1974
Editor - Ten-Ten International Newsletter
http://www.kk3q.net
http://www.spacecoastchapter.com
KK3Q

Postby N9AVY » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:09 pm

KK3Q wrote:I have nowhere near the chapter memberships that others have but have always enjoyed the ones that revolve around something centered on the chapters local areas (Steamboat, Iditarod, Battle Road, Chattanooga, etc.). LIke working DX stations, these formats help us learn more about the areas surrounding the chapters regarding history (Battle Road), special events (Iditarod), local themes (Chattanooga, City of Roses) and not to forget the state oriented chapters like Republic of Texas and others.

Have to agree on the local themes for chapters. Seems to be what drew me to most chapters. Those which had nothing to do with local area really weren't all that interesting. I reacall the old Prince of Pork chapter which was based on local politician in downstate Illinois (we don't pronounce the "S" !); not only was it a bit of history, but it concerned politics which everyone can understand.

Perhaps Cycle 24 will produce some new and interesting chapters based on local area sites or history. Also, let's hope that they are run by responsible people who know well in advance how much blood, sweat and tears are involved in running a chapter. With today's technology, it's now possible to email certificates as attachments; thus, slashing the costs a chapter would have in printing certificates. With the economy in sad shape, cutting costs to members will make a lot of sense and draw in greater numbers.

Those who would start new chapters should do their homework and find out what made the older chapters successful. The main key is a strong local group... without that. failure to launch could be imminent.

Think we all have high hopes for Cycle 24 ...
N9AVY

Postby ka9spa » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:16 pm

Primarily out of curiosity, since I've been inactive since even before the dozen years ago when I retired and moved to Krum, Texas, I hooked up with the 10-10 website today. I haven't re-established KA9SPA though I still have all the equipment and when we built a garage made sure there was room for a ham shack. I've been doing a lot of what I call "Memory Dredging" and Googled 10-10 today and have been surprised at how many familiar calls are still involved ... and even more surprised that the old Prince of Pork Chapter should come up in a thread.
When I spearheaded the organization of the chapter, we had the requisite seven local members who were interested, and I was gratified that so many paperchasers enjoyed the program we offered. Unfortunately, only N9AYS and myself were regulars at our scheduled net time and that leads me to answer your question "What constitutes a good chapter?" with the No. 1 element: Lots of local support.
Battle Road, an outgrowth of the White Mountain Chapter, was my favorite when I was active. There were always a bunch of check-ins on their net. And many good friendships established.
I'm not going to make any rash statements about reactiviating KA9SPA (although I do have antenna-raising help offered) because other hobby activities consume a lot of time ... but the temptation is still their. I have kept my hand in as far as newspaper activities are concerned ... a weekly newspaper was established 10 years ago here in Krum and I have volunteered, purely as a hobby, to cover city council, school board and some sports ... plus write a weekly column, called "The Krumudgeon" ... active in Lions Club, genealogy and we have established the Krum Society of Historic Preservation and are putting together a museum in a colorful 100-year-old bank building donated when the bank moved to modern facilities.
Health remains good ... I seem to be following my mother's health patterns ... she lived two weeks past her 99th birthday, so at 76, I'm confident I have a few years left ... Enough ... John Callarman, KA9SPA JohnCallarman@msn.com
ka9spa

Postby N9AVY » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:57 am

John:

Whenever ol' paperchasers get together there is inevitably mention of "Prince of Pork". For me, it was special because it reflected Illinois politics with a sense of humor. Too bad chapter didn't continue because there could have been Governors seals: Blago, Ryan, Kerner, and Walker !

So, give yourself a pat on the back and a couple of attaboys for running an interesting and successful chapter we all miss.
N9AVY

Return to Paper Chasing