Fourm Topics

For infromation concerning the 2013 Convention.

Moderator: N1API

Fourm Topics

Postby n7yg » Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:19 pm

At the 2005 convention in Mesa, AZ I did a forum on PropNET. I'd be willing to do that again for this convention even a generalized one on PSK and Sound Card digital modes if there is an interest.
Jeff K. Steinkamp N7YG
Tucson, AZ
SCUD Missile Coordinates:
N032-13-55.02 W110-55-52.79
Registered Linux User: 420428
n7yg

Re: Fourm Topics

Postby N1API » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:36 pm

Sounds interesting to me, I do PSK and RTTY, but have tried other modes. And though one of the county hunters has helped me over the phone make contacts with him at home using MSFK16 and THROB, those were the only contacts that I made using those two modes. I've never been able to "decode" any other signals on the bands even when the call and frequency are posted on the cluster. This would be of interest to me as County Hunters have a 5 mode award so beside SSB, CW, RTTY, and PSK you need to be proficient in at least one other digital mode. The other ones, Pactor, Amtor, MT63 and Hell I've never got close to seeing anything, (if they are at all used).
Al N1API
CH/CM Castle Craig Chapter of 10-10
N1API

Postby N1API » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:50 pm

Also, (and not to confuse it with Jeff's suggestion on digital), I would like to see Win1010 for the newbie with the focus on getting a working copy made that they can take home and put right on their computers. Perhaps a couple of sessions, maybe 1/2 hour to 1 hour each the first where they can see the use and benefits of Win1010, (with emphasis on how to download updates and keep it up-to-date) . And then a session where they can have a working copy on that is specifically designed to take home and load on their personal computer that is set up for them. I know there have been Win1010 talks done before but this would be more tailored to the individual in the second session. Attendees would need a USB Stick large enough to hold the program and directories or personal computer to load the program on.
Al N1API
N1API

Postby K5CC » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:05 pm

Attracting New Members
Members attending a Convention are assumed to want to do all that can
be done to attract new members. I suggest that a forum (one hour
or so) be held on using local ham fests, swap meets or other local
get togethers to advertise 10-10. There are many of these events
around the country and the forum could show how nearby members
could attend, set up a table and pass out 10-10 material. The forum
could show what material is available and how to obtain it. Also the
forum would show how members could be reimbursed for attending
and setting up a table. Ten-Ten is represented at big ham events but
there are many local events that could be used in recruiting.
K5CC

Postby kg9hm » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:56 pm

I would be interested in hearing more about the digital modes in general, especially PSK or whatever is the most popular. I've never tried them at all.
kg9hm

Postby N1API » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:14 pm

Most of the people who try digital start with PSK so It would be a good choice for a beginners forum. The next most popular one is RTTY.

kg9hm wrote:I would be interested in hearing more about the digital modes in general, especially PSK or whatever is the most popular. I've never tried them at all.
Al N1API
N1API

Return to 2013 Convention