thinking of operating a new beacon

Use this forum to ask tech questions or post info about hardware. Post can include computer, radio, antenna and accessories as long as they are Amateur Radio related.

Moderator: wx5nco

thinking of operating a new beacon

Postby KD5PCK » Fri May 07, 2010 4:16 pm

Hello all. I have a Radio Shack HTX -10 that is not being used for anything right now. I was thinking about putting a beacon on the air with it. I haven't operated 10 meters before, so I could use a little Elmering with this.
1. Is there really a need for another ten meter beacon?
2. How do I decide on a frequency to beacon on? Is there any unofficial coordination?
3. Should I use a vertical or a horizontal dipole? Anyone have a link to a verticle dipole plan? I think I saw one in QST a while back but can't seem to find it. I believe it used electrical conduit.
4. What level of output power is recommended? If I was to put this beacon on the air, I would like to run it 24/7.
5. Anyone know of a plug and play, or close to it, CW keyer for id'ing?
I am sure there's more questions that I may have, but let's deal with these first.

Thanks in advance!
Scott
KD5PCK
www.selarc.og
KD5PCK

Re: thinking of operating a new beacon

Postby kd5de » Sat May 08, 2010 11:09 am

We do have a beacon up here in Shreveport 0n 28.2645 W5ZA running 4 watts on a vertical. I would suggest that you contact the Beacon Man. WJ5O he can answer all of you questions and give you some hints and kinks on beacons. His email is at the bottom of his beacon page in the link below.
http://userpages.troycable.net/~wj5o/bcn.htm
Linux User #25446 Linux 2.6.32
kd5de

Return to Technical